Beneath an orange sky...

There is this hunger This restlessness inside of me And it knows that you're no stranger You're my gravity My hands will adore you through all darknesss aim They will lay you out in moonlight And reinvent your name For I am wanting you And I am needing you here I need you near Inside the absence of fear (Jewel)

Saturday, October 14, 2006

An idea...

Here's an idea that I had over the summer but I never followed through with it. It would be nice to get some feedback from those who read this blog. I'm not sure where I want to go with this but maybe you can help me out.



"Something inside dies with abortion. There’s other options. We can help." (An add on Bank Street featuring a young woman looking empty and despaired. )

I’m by no means a talented writer but when I notice adds like this or behaviours that go against women’s rights I need to vent. I’ve decided to try something new...writing. However I do not want to be alone in this process because I strongly believe that women, of all ages, need to voice their opinions. It is too often that women, regardless of their backgrounds, face barriers that prevent them from speaking out; sometimes they lack the resources, the support or the funds to go out and be active but most often it is fear of being judged, criticised and being labelled the "F"word which in itself brings in a lot of other labels.

I took a history course about the women’s movement in the Western world when I was my third year of university. One of our assignments was to get into a group and find a hot issue that affected women in whichever part of the world we were interested in and find how the women’s movement was handling it. My group and I decided to be different. We wanted to experience what women of the Second Wave had and see how they had become so involved. We took it upon ourselves to create a Consciousness Raising group, simply going back to the roots of it all. It started it out with the four of us and some of our girlfriends writing hot topics on small pieces of paper, picking one out of a hat and then talking about it for a little while.

Unfortunately, this did not last very long. I sort of lost track of it all and so did many other members of my group. We didn’t really lose interest but like every other engagement in this fast track world it gets taken over by another. We are too busy to get together, we only have an hour, we are too tired or whatever other reason we come up with. I hadn’t thought as far back then but now I feel it’s time for me to do something, to be active and to get others involved...as tacky as that might sound to some.

Therefore, I am thinking of setting up a blog and sending an invite to all women I know to join in and write what bugs them, what motivates them, what makes them strong or weak, what they are doing to change the world, to promote women’s right or whatever else they feel. I want to go back to the roots, to prove that we women of the 21st century are there, need to be heard and that every day we’re are being active.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home